Location of the library
Past the registration desk down the hallway, the library is located in the last room on the left, just before the second hallway. The Kinderecke (children’s corner) is on the right.
- The library is open on Saturday mornings on GSC school days, including during Pause.
- Check-out hours may vary and are announced in the weekly GSC newsletter under Notes from the GSC Library.
- GSC e-newsletter sign-up: http://germanschoolct.org/stamford-news-emails
- The Kinderecke is open on Saturday mornings on GSC school days.
- Spaß in der Kinderecke! is a regular program with reading aloud and crafts.
- Activities are announced in the weekly newsletter.
- Children must be accompanied by a parent/ guardian. No drop-offs.
- German learners of all ages are encouraged to check out CDs and to listen to German audio books or music to practice their language skills.
- The library encourages patrons to utilize their time in the car for this purpose, for example during the daily commute or when transporting German-learning children to activities.
- The library welcomes donations of German-language CDs (fiction for all ages, nonfiction on any subject matter and music of any genre) for the audioDeutsch program.
- Donations of gently-used CD may be dropped off at the library.
Materials may be borrowed by:
- Enrolled students of all ages and their parents/ guardians;
- GSC teachers and teaching assistants; and
- Private students receiving instruction by GSC teachers.
- Patrons receive a library card with a matching key tag.
- Cards are valid for the duration of the patron’s affiliation with GSC.
- Library cards are issued free of charge.
- Important: lost card replacement fee is $5.
- Check-out limit is four (4) items per patron. School materials do not count towards that limit.
- Items may be borrowed for two (2) weeks and be renewed once for two (2) more weeks.
- Renewals may be made at the library or by emailing email@example.com (state patron name and item title/s).
- School breaks or class cancellations: due items should be returned the following Saturday. No late fees apply in such cases.
- Items must be returned at the end of the school year unless special arrangements are made.
- The library will facilitate the return of materials in the event of illness or emergency.
- One return bin is available at the registration desk and a second one at the library.
- School materials may not be placed into return bins.
- There is a one-time late fee of 50 cents per item.
- If a checked-out item is more than four (4) weeks late, a replacement fee is charged.
Lost or damaged library items
- A replacement fee is charged for lost or irreparably damaged items, which will then be removed from the patron account and from the library inventory.
- If a previously lost item is found during the same school year, the replacement fee will be reimbursed upon return of that item.
- In lieu of a replacement fee, a lost or irreparably damaged item may be replaced with a donated item. Please discuss with the library manager to ensure that the replacement item suits the library inventory.
- A standard fee for returnable school materials is charged at the time of class registration.
- Borrowed materials remain with the student for the duration of the school year.
- In case of loss of or damage to school materials, a replacement fee based on the purchase price is charged.
- Returns of materials will be coordinated with teachers at the end of the school year.
- Teachers visit the library with their classes at their discretion.
- Students may check out items at any time; it is not necessary to wait for a class visit.
- Donations of gently used CDs for the audioDeutsch program are welcome.
- Contact the library manager for information which public libraries in the area accept German-language books.
- Information on volunteering at GSC, including at the library, is available at: http://germanschoolct.org/volunteering
Contact the GSC library
General inquiries; library programs and activities; teachers’ needs; class visits; volunteering
firstname.lastname@example.org (library manager: Sabine Schweizer)
Returns; renewals; lost/ damaged library items; school materials
email@example.com (assistant librarian: Helen Ströbel)