Location of the library
Past the registration desk down the hallway, the library is located in the last room on the left, just before the second hallway. The Kinderecke (children’s corner) is next to the library.
- The library is open on Saturday mornings, including during Pause, on GSC school days.
- Check-out hours may vary and are announced in the weekly GSC newsletter under Notes from the GSC Library.
- GSC e-newsletter sign-up: http://germanschoolct.org/stamford-news-emails
Materials may be borrowed by:
- Enrolled students of all ages and their parents/ guardians;
- GSC teachers and teaching assistants; and
- Private students receiving instruction by GSC teachers
- Patrons receive a library card with a matching key tag.
- Cards are valid for the duration of the patron’s affiliation with GSC.
- Library cards are issued free of charge.
- Important: lost card replacement fee is $5
- Check-out limit is four (4) items per patron. School materials do not count towards that limit.
- Items may be borrowed for two (2) weeks and be renewed once for two (2) more weeks.
- Renewals may be made at the library or by emailing email@example.com (state patron name and item title/s).
- School breaks or class cancellations: due items should be returned the following Saturday. No late fees apply in such cases.
- Items must be returned at the end of the school year unless special arrangements are made.
- The library will facilitate the return of materials in the event of illness or emergency.
- One return bin is available at the registration desk and a second one at the library.
- School materials may not be placed into return bins.
- Late fee is 50 cents per item (one-time fee).
- If a checked-out item is more than four (4) weeks late, a replacement fee is charged
Lost or Damaged Library Items
- A replacement fee is charged for lost or irreparably damaged items, these will be removed from the patron account and from the library inventory.
- If a previously lost item is found during the same school year, the replacement fee will be reimbursed upon return of that item.
- In lieu of a replacement fee, a lost or irreparably damaged item may be replaced with a donated item. Please discuss with the library manager to ensure that the replacement item suits the library inventory.
- Borrowed school materials remain with the student for the duration of the school year.
- In case of loss of or damage to school materials, a replacement fee based on the purchase price is charged.
- Returns of materials will be coordinated with teachers at the end of the school year.
- Teachers are encouraged to visit the library with their classes.
- Students are expected to visit the library individually to check out materials; it is not necessary to wait for a class visit.
- The Kinderecke is open on Saturday mornings on GSC school days.
- Spaß in der Kinderecke! is a regular program with reading aloud and crafts.
- Activities are announced in the weekly newsletter.
- Children must be accompanied by a parent/ guardian. No drop-offs.
- German learners of all ages are encouraged to check out CDs and to utilize their time in the car, e.g. during their daily commute or while transporting children to activities, and to listen to German audio books or music in order to practice their language skills.
- The library welcomes donations of German-language CDs (fiction for all ages, non-fiction on any subject matter and music of any genre) for the audioDeutsch program.
- Donation drives for book sales are announced in the GSC newsletter.
- Donations of gently used CDs for the audioDeutsch program are welcome.
- Please consider donating gently used German books to your local library. Your donation will help build up your public library’s inventory of German books, in particular of children’s books, for check-out by other German-speaking families during the week and school holidays when the GSC library is closed.
- Information on volunteering at GSC, including at the library, is available at: http://germanschoolct.org/volunteering
Contact the GSC library
firstname.lastname@example.org (library manager: Sabine Schweizer)